My
exit strategy is to sell the business 3-5 years after the software goes
live. I expect that initial research and development will take about a
year and will focus solely on a single practice area in law. In the first
6-9 months after the software is introduced to the market, the company will
actively solicit customer feedback and focus on improvement, as well as
growth. The following few years will be focused on research and
development of the software to make it specific to areas of law other than the
first one. In 3-5 years the company should be very profitable and have
demonstrated its ability to grow and develop into new markets.
I
have selected this particular exit strategy for a few reasons. First of
all, this company will be a project for me, not a career. Secondly, I
believe that while engaged in this project, I will inevitably discover new
opportunities and come up with new ideas. Selling the business will
provide the resources necessary to invest into a new venture. Third of
all, I suspect that after years on working on the same type of project cycle,
it will become repetitive and not challenging, and it will be a good time to
make a change. Lastly, feedback that I received from some of my previous
posts showed me the potential that my idea has beyond law firms, and that it
can be applied to other types of businesses. I believe this, along with
profits, will make the company easier to market and sell.
My
exit strategy has influenced my growth intentions. My goal is to have
between five and ten software variations, each specific to its own area of law
practiced by solo and small law firms. After reaching my goal, there will
be enough stability in the company and sill enough opportunities for a new
owner to expand into new practice areas and new types of businesses with the
software, making my company a safe, yet an exciting investment for an
entrepreneurial and business-minded buyer.
Hey Mario,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your exit strategy, since the assignment focuses solely on a person's perception of their business instead of the emotionless descriptions of the venture. You stated that you would sell the business and possibly pursue other ventures. Do you happen to already have some ideas? Also, would you be willing to change our exit strategy in the event the venture takes longer than expected to grow or possibly grew much quicker than expected?