Michael Chasin
is the CEO of Lexicata. Lexicata is a client intake software that
streamlines the intake process. Michael
is an MBA / J.D. who has never practiced
law, but rather used his legal education to support his entrepreneurial
activities in the legal field. He developed
the concept for Lexicata after seeing a need in the legal community for a
streamlined client intake process.
Michael is a
domain expert. He created concepts for
two platforms that support small law firms and successfully implemented
them.
I had Michael’s
contact information from when I purchased Lexicata for our law practice a few
years ago. I sent him an e-mail
requesting help for a school assignment and he agreed. We spoke on the phone briefly and Michael
gave me feedback on my idea. I made sure
to tell him the strength that his product has, telling him that I wish he would
expand from just intake to case management, because his product’s features are
superior to those of similar products.
People who are
successful usually do not hesitate to share their knowledge and experience with
others. Given that Michael has created
and implemented the best product in his category that is currently on the
market, he is a great contact to have.
In his career, he has developed a strong understanding of the technology
behind practice management software and was able to quickly point out to me the
technical and industry-specific challenges I am likely to encounter in
implementing my idea.
Matthew
Orlinsky is an account manager for PracticePanther, a Law Practice Management
Software. Matthew has a bachelor’s
degree in Marketing from UCF. As an
account manager at PracticePanther, Matt sells the subscriptions to Practice
Panther to law firms of various sizes.
He is a market expert due to his education and experience selling to the
type of lawyers that would be my target audience.
As with Michael,
I had Matt’s contact information from when I purchased PracticePanther for our
law firm a few months ago. Matt was
happy to talk over the phone and to share his expertise. He has a real passion for marketing and has
been a successful salesperson. I this
the return expectation for his assistance with this assignment is to give
positive feedback on PracticePanther to attorneys looking to purchase or switch
practice management software.
Matt would be one
of the few salespeople I would interview prior to implementing my idea. I think knowing and interviewing him, and
others like him, men and women that deal with selling a practice management
product to lawyers, would be a must to gain a better understanding of what
motivates my potential customers.
Erica
Liebowitz is an Instructional Designer at Amazon Web Services.
Amazon Web Services is one of the
infrastructure providers for Lexicata.
AWS is in the supplier category for my idea. I connected with Erica on LinkedIn and she
was an easy contact to make. Since
training is her specialty, and since my team at work is tasked with training store
employees, we had a good conversation about training teams.
Erica was
knowledgeable on the technical requirements to implement my idea on a large
scale and securely. I was able to share
my experience and advise with her on training.
Connecting with
Erica, and people like her, makes introductions to persons within AWS and other
similar suppliers more likely.
Reflection:
This type of
networking is different from the networking I have to do for work. At work I network with upper management
within our corporation. This type of
networking opens doors for career opportunities for me outside of my current
organization, as officers and senior executives move on to other companies.
The networking I
did for this assignment was certainly different. I do not usually have to reach out to people
outside of my organization to ask for a favor.
I felt a little uncomfortable reaching out to people for help with my
school assignment, but each of the people I connected with was happy to give
their time and advice. Next time I have
to reach out to someone for networking reasons, this experience will serve as a
reminder of people’s willingness and ability to help.
Hello Mario,
ReplyDeleteI appreciated hearing about what you learned from these people and how networking with them not only helped you grow your idea, but also venture into new areas that are not within your field. I am a strong believer and advocate of approaching everything with an open-mind and thinking out-of-the-box as much as possible. Doing so will definitely help you gain innovative ideas as well as expert advice from others that will help you build and develop your idea. I'm glad that you were able to do so.
Hello Mario,
ReplyDeleteReading about the things you learned from networking outside of the scope of upper management was very interesting! Also, seeing how meeting these new people helped you develop your business idea is very interesting as well. Maintaining an open mind and seeking for help within your network is always a great idea! I hope that in the future my network will also help me develop a wonderful business idea. Keep up the good work!