Friday, June 22, 2018

16A –What’s Your Secret Sauce?



Five ways I believe my human capital is unique and makes me different.

  1. Attention to detail:  I appreciate many things and am always very curious.  As a child, I took apart my toys to see how they work and would go to construction sites in different phases to see how homes/building were built.  I also always wanted to know why people did things they way the did and why they liked what they like.  I feel like this was a data collection process in my own way to discover attributes that satisfied people and how to achieve them.  These details became very important to me and led me to mature into a very system-oriented thinker.
  2.  Analytical horsepower: Given I have always been in this mindset of understanding things and how they fit in a broader system, I have a unique ability to analyze problems.  I also love statistics and feel that it gives me focus on what is critical to focus on from a data perspective.  I am always drawn to the few most meaningful data and can deprioritize the rest.
  3. Planner: With an appreciation of this mindset that everything is part of a system, I like to prioritize and sequence individual things into a broad plan.  I enjoy taking the time to understand what problem needs to be solved and what are the most effective and efficient ways to figure them out.
  4. Strategic thinker: By leveraging my analytical and planning skills, I can shape effective strategies that can be executed.  I consider resources, time and prospective tradeoffs in how I approach things.  I ask many follow-up questions to ensure all stakeholders agree on the problem were trying to solve- oftentimes repeating and paraphrasing to ensure.  When I lack experience or knowledge, I collect it from others or research before shaping a strategy.
  5. Relentless drive: Once I’m certain I understand the problem, I don’t stop working until the problem is eliminated or greatly reduced.  I am willing to put maximum effort to achieve results and pay attention to team member’s individual skill sets that can be leveraged and help us get there as quick as possible.  I feel like the end is always tangible when there’s a good plan and no matter what, we can always get there- because no problem is truly that unique in my opinion.  
Through five interviews (summarized below), I collected what others that are close to me thought made me unique.  You can click on each interview to hear the actual recording.

Kathryn (work colleague) noted that I take time to truly understand a given situation.  She also recognized my deep appreciation for worklife balance and other peoples personal time as a leader.  It was informative to learn from her that others find me intimidating and that my disciplined, quiet demeanor can sometimes be misunderstood. 
Wendi (work colleague) explained that she recognized my quiet demeanor to be me thinking deeply, but others do not see that and it is an opportunity for me to be conscious of it.  She also noted that I am detailed oriented and like to take control.  She shared an appreciation of how I process information and influence others. She felt that I had a very broad understanding of business and was able to effectively demonstrate return value of investments.
Sheri (close friend)
Strategic in thought process and analytical.  Very thorough and good decision maker who does not make uniformed quick decisions.  Demonstrates confidence in emotions, very driven and competitive.
Natalia (wife) appreciated my experience and knowledge are broad- both professionally and recreationally.  She felt that I am very capable because of my confidence.  She shared that I should appreciate and recognize emotions more and deal with them and remember to encourage more.
Larry (close friend and ex-colleague) thought I was very resourceful in solving problems and noted my deep retail knowledge across many functional business units in a corporate setting.  He felt I am methodical and efficient with very high standards.

After reflecting on these interviews, I realized I am often focused on results and solutions more than how people are feeling.  In fact, just writing about my human capital was entirely focused on professional attributes.  You would not realize I am a proud husband and father of four children.  For the most part, others saw my professional capabilities, but added opportunity with the emotional side of my capital.  I think I have an intense focus on my professional life, so I succeed and provide for my family.  I felt the interviewees were accurate in their assessment, except for one that felt I was a “control freak” (as she put it).  Looking back, I would now add something related to family to my human capital.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    You have two characteristics that you used to describe yourself and it really struck me hard. Analytical horsepower and relentless drive! these are super great qualities to have and share with for your purpose on this world! continue to strengthen those qualities. i love how with your interviews you were able to find and understand some of the things that you also need to work on that your friends/family found out about you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Thank you for sharing the reflections you have on yourself and the ways that others see you. It's great to have an intense focus on your professional life, and a balance of that focus between your work and your family is key to success. I'm glad that you were able to plug in something about your family to your capital as family is one of the most important things in life!

    ReplyDelete